Welcome to Yaxley
Detail of the Signpost of the village of Yaxley, Huntingdonshire
Geakeslea, Iaceslea (10th century); Jacheslei (11th century);
Jakeslea (12th - 14th century); Yakesle (14th century) and Yaxley
(16h century onwards).
Northmannescros, Normannescros (10th century); Normanescros (11th
century); Normancros (13th century) and Norman Cross (Modern).
The village of Yaxley is just over 4 miles south of Peterborough and
15 miles north-east of
Huntingdon. It is in the old Norman Cross Hundred of
Huntingdonshire. The hamlet of Norman Cross, which gives the Hundred
its name, lies across Ermine Street about a mile to the west of
Yaxley and north of the village of
Yaxley once belonged to the Abbey of Thorney, and at one time had
a weekly market and an annual fair. The manor was the property of
Colonel Proby in 1910. There was once a small mere on this spot called Yaxley Mere and
navigable water between Yaxley,
Holme and onwards to
the sea at King's Lynn. The peat of the fen here used to be over 10
feet thick with occasional outcrops of Oxford clay, but there is no
sand or gravel.
Church of St Peter in Yaxley
The Church dedicated to St Peter is a large cruciform edifice of the
Decorated style, with some elements of the late Perpendicular. Both
the nave and chancel have clerestories. There are aisles, southern
porch and a western embattled tower with pinnacles and an octagonal
crocketed spire. The registers date from 1653.
There is a Methodist Chapel in Main Street and in the past there were
also Wesleyan, Congregationalist and Baptist
Chapels in Yaxley too.
Norman Cross Prison Camp
Norman Cross, to the west of yaxley, gives its name to the
Hundred. It doubtless became the meeting place of the Hundred Court
in quite early days; possibly the actual place of meeting was marked
by a large stone or cross, but there is no record of this, and the
name seems to been derived rather from the cross-roads than from any
structural cross. Indeed, the place appears to have been quite
devoid of buildings until 1797, when it became the site of the great
military prison erected for the accommodation of the prisoners
captured during the Napoleonic wars. The prison was pulled down in
1816, and the materials sold. The house now occupied by J. A.
Herbert (1910) was the residence of the Governor. There is a large
roadside memorial but of the camp itself nothing visible above
Yaxley is one of the parishes of the District of
Huntingdonshire, whose administrative centre is
Huntingdon, the other principle towns being
home of the Chapel on the Bridge,
the largest town in the County of Cambridgeshire, the Roman town of
site of the former Abbey.
The box below displays a random selection from the great deals, special
offers and/or SALE items that are available from the
site members but you may follow this link to view all the
current what's HOT in the district.
Forthcoming Events in or around Yaxley
Here are the next five events in the Huntingdonshire Event Diary, the local ones are coloured GOLD and
clicking the title will open links to event detail on this website whilst
following the "Out of Village' events will open in a new window on their
own website. Click 'Show Summary' for exactly what it says,
without going anywhere!
If you are organising an event anywhere if Huntingdonshire then follow this link for information
on how to add a new event and advertise your event on over 50 websites
SORRY - We do not have any events in the new diary yet!